Caring for Yourself or a Loved One with COVID-19
A Do It Yourself Guide
Here is a quick guide on what PSC recommends for you to do if you or someone you know has a positive COVID test with or without symptoms:
- Always have proper PPE on hand-gloves, masks, face shield, disinfectant/soaps, sprays/wipes, gowns, pulse oximetry meter, blood pressure cuff, and thermometer (all can be purchased at your local pharmacy or online)
- Frequent and effective handwashing is still at the top of MUST DO’s.
- Keep a daily log or journal to record all your symptoms and vital signs. This will come in handy if you need to speak with your Doctor.
- Take and record your temperature. A fever above 99.4 F should be addressed with your physician.
- Call your Physician to set up a telehealth visit.
- Continue to always social distance with friends/family
- If you have been exposed to someone that is COVID positive or having symptoms you should quarantine for 14 days according to the CDC and best practices. This should include separating yourself from others in the house including caregivers. Reducing the number of caregivers in the home should be considered.
- After 14 days of quarantine and symptoms have subsided have a COVID-19 test to determine if you are now negative and not able to transmit the virus to others.
- Hydration-stay hydrated with adequate fluid, such as water, Gatorade, Pedialyte and broth/soups
- Nutrition- small frequent nutritional meals/snacks at least 3 times a day.
- Using delivery services such as Doordash, Instacart, andAmazon are all available to deliver groceries. Ordering in from restaurants is another option as many make deliveries.
- Washing all linens, towels, clothes in hot water, and bleac h as indicated will kill the virus. Continue to disinfect frequently touched areas. 60% or greater Alcohol can also be used to disinfect surfaces.
- Get tested ASAP and again when quarantine is completed (14 days) to ensure you are COVID negative and not able to transmit the virus to others.
- Free testing sites are now open throughout the county. An updated list is available on the Platinum Select Care website.
If you live alone and do not have anyone to help care for you, please give Platinum Select Care a call at 561-998-3211 to speak with a Registered Nurse. We can help, remember we are all in this together!